Rumaithah Reads: Episode 1

Join junior Rumaithah Khan as she reviews “A Good Girls Guide to Murder” by Holly Jackson.

Released in 2019 by Holly Jackson, “A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder” is a mystery, young adult fiction about Pippa Fitz-Amobi, who often goes by Pip. She lives in a small town in Connecticut called Fairview which looks like a picture-perfect neighborhood. However, the town has had one big incident looming over it for about half a decade. Fairview had a murder case that involved 2 high school students being dead: Andie Bell and Sal Singh.

Sal, who presumably killed Andie and then committed suicide due to his guilt, has a younger brother: Ravi Singh. 

Ravi and both his parents have been outcasted from society ever since the murder and avoided by everyone until Pip shows up at his doorstep. Pip, a senior in high school, chooses to investigate the Andie and Sal case for her senior capstone project, as she was always wary of it. She teamed up with Ravi to uncover the truth.

This book definitely is a 5 out of 5 star rating, which is rare, but I have never read a book that has kept me so engaged. This story will keep you on the edge of your seat the whole time as you will think you have the mystery solved and be completely wrong since Jackson incorporates many plot twists. 

While this story is advertised as a young adult novel. I would recommend it for people even older, no matter how old. You will be so occupied with the book that other tasks will just fall away so you can continue reading. It’s definitely a book that can be read in one sitting. This book is the perfect way to get into mystery, if you have not already. 

Not only is this book’s mystery incredibly amazing, but it also has the most adorable sub-plot of romance that will have you smiling at the pages. I highly recommend everyone read this book as we get into all the fall festivities!