286722023084101

Early graduates prepare their goodbyes to Huntley High School

For most high school students, the first half of the 2012-13 school year is coming to an end. For a certain number of high school seniors, however, this means their high school career is nearly over.

This year’s senior class consists of 538 students. Of that amount, only 53 have decided to graduate early, roughly around ten percent of the entire senior class.

Karen Miller, freshmen counselor who is in charge of early graduates, has noticed the number of seniors graduating early to increase every year. Although the number of graduating seniors from the 2011-12 school has only increased by one student, Miller has seen a steady progression on the rise.

“I think students are more goal-orientated and have plans so some kids want to start getting ahead now,” said Miller.

Any student interested in early graduation was required by student services and administration to fill out an application requesting early graduation approval by Principal Johnson. Following approval, students then had to assure they had the required 23 credits to graduate early.

Towards the end of the first semester, students must attend all information meetings, pay all leftover fines, return all textbooks, and fill out early graduation forms.

If all expectations are met students are then officially considered early graduates

All though it is not a popular idea among the senior class, early graduation is an alternate option for them to take.

“I think it fully depends on the student, but life happens [quickly] so I personally recommend all four years,” said Miller. “Before you know it, you’re working full-time, but then again it depends on the type of student.”

A majority of early graduates are either working full time or taking courses at McHenry County College or any other local community college.

Although early graduates would no longer be part of the school, they are still considered Huntley High School students thus able to attend Prom and walk with the rest of their senior class at the graduation ceremony.

Seniors should check the school website or haiku for the latest graduation reminders and information such as when to buy Prom tickets and the cap and gown pickup date.

For any juniors considering early graduation, they must let their counselor know in the spring when choosing courses for the following year.