Huntley High School’s teachers show support for students

S.+Vanegas

S. Vanegas

By Riley Murphy

Work. Sports. Mental health. All of these things should be considered by teachers as they welcome their students into the classroom. While a teacher may only interact with their students on a day-to-day basis, only talking when a student needs help or while explaining a lesson, teachers need to realize that a lot goes on in their students’ lives outside of the classroom. 

Fortunately at Huntley High School, there are plenty of extremely caring teachers who make sure to be there for their students and emphasize that they care about their success beyond the classroom. 

“I think that when teachers show they care, it encourages the student to actually not only do their work but become better in their work,” senior Andrea Vavrinek said. “If you have a motivational teacher, like someone who encourages you and someone who actually cares, then you’re more likely to appreciate that and take that with you as you go on.” 

In a world where students are constantly stressed, anxious, and busy worrying about grades and otherwise, HHS teachers do a great job prioritizing their students’ needs and making sure they feel comfortable in the classroom. 

“I think one of the most important things you can do as a teacher is to build a relationship, because that’s where the trust comes in,” math teacher Brian Thornley said. “It’s not that I’m doing that because I want kids to trust me, I do this because I love working with kids.”

When Thornley was in high school, he truly experienced what a caring teacher looked like through two of his teachers. According to Thornley, both teachers did an excellent job making students like him feel supported at their low and high moments. 

“I would say the most important things in teaching outside of knowing [math] is I think no matter where you’re at, you show kids that you respect and care about them, then everything else is going to be fine,” Thornley said. 

Once Thornley finished his degree in math and landed his first teaching job, he truly realized that education is where his passions and goals lied. Through teaching, not only does he learn things about himself but he has also picked up some things from them. Most recently, he learned about the world and culture of Tik Tok. 

“I’m a person just going through life, enjoying what they do and I love what I do every day. For the most part I think I’m happy because I found something that I feel happy doing,” Thornley said. 

While life for students may be hectic on the outside, inside we know that Huntley has some truly caring teachers who are always there to help.