2024 the plot?

A big discussion ensues on the importance of new year’s resolutions.
2024 the plot?
S. Webb

“3… 2… 1… Happy New Year!” 

Champagne glasses rise to the air, people in crowded city streets cheer, and couples embrace. 2024 has officially commenced. People around the world convince themselves that it is “their year” or that they get a fresh start. 

The tradition of new year’s resolutions has overtaken the minds of many as they spring up conversations on new years eve. Social media is riddled with people starting their new year’s resolutions, hoping to inspire others to do the same.

“Having resolutions show that you wanna make a change in your life, bringing in such a positive mindset,” junior Mckenna Corso said.  

New years have been a tradition as far back as the late 17th century. Due to the idea that with the new year, people want to be a new person. They strive to look better, be better, or do better. Which, in theory is great, but when people consistently break these resolutions it also breaks the purpose. 

The reason people stay with these resolutions is because they set goals for themselves that are achievable and work through ups and downs. They also continue these resolutions through each new year, tweaking them to continue that goal. Inspiration to continue chasing these goals comes from the passion that caused them to make the goal in the first place. 

“I am going to screw it up from time to time, so I like to remember why I made the goal to begin with,” seminar teacher, Kimberly Goglin said. 

However, why not start the goal when you think of it? If people wait to start their goals, it is more likely that their motivation has decreased. Then, by the time they hit that new year, they may feel as though now they have to go through with their set goal. So, if you come up with big goals near the end of the year, start chasing them the moment you think of them.

Furthermore, the notion that people should strive to lose weight may inspire an unhealthy obsession with dieting and exercise. Staying healthy is more than having abs or eating vegetables for every meal. Everyone should exercise but not everyone needs to diet.  

“ Resolutions are usually about staying fit. It should be working out when you want to because it should be for yourself and not forced,” senior Elizabeth Case said. 

New year’s resolutions are constantly skewed. They are important when they are realistic and attainable. When people set standards for themselves that are a high jump from their current selves, they feel more pressure and break their resolutions. Set your goals, be okay with making mistakes, and be practical. Not everything is for the plot after all.