Marching towards school spirit

Junior+Homecoming+representatives+Jess+Clavero+and+Spencer+Bingham+ride+down+the+parade+route+in+style.+Photo+courtesy+of+Jess+Clavero.+
Junior Homecoming representatives Jess Clavero and Spencer Bingham ride down the parade route in style. Photo courtesy of Jess Clavero.

This week marked the busiest week for Huntley High School as the much anticipated spirit days took place. On Wednesday, the Homecoming parade marched through Huntley with strong bravado. The district’s marching bands, clubs, and teams stirred up the drowsy neighborhoods with whoops of excitement from 6 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. This Friday, Huntley High became the epitome of school spirit as the pep rally excited the students from 1 p.m. to the end of the school day.

Under the direction of Student Council adviser Thomas Kempf and Speech Team coach Tom George, both events ran efficiently and successfully.

The parade began at Old Timer’s Park, weaved through the residential area, and ended at the Municipal Building. Proud parents and jittery children lined the curbs as bands, floats, and sports cars of any order rolled through the streets.

“I was really impressed with the outcome this year,” said Kempf, “There were way more spectators and participants in the parade compared to last year.”

Last year there were four buses chauffeuring parade participants, this year the numbers increased to eight. Not only did the marching numbers double, but the crowds as well.

The only unimpressive outcome was the traffic. Police did not control cars very well when some vehicles were found blocking the paths of the parade route. Other than the minor traffic jams, the energy was strong and cheerful.

However, the parade energy could hardly compare to Huntley High’s school spirit at the pep rally. At 1 p.m. approximately 2,000 freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors along with staff all managed to cram into the East Gym.

Events included volleyball games of grade versus grade, cheerleading, and the school’s cheers and fight song. Orchesis performed along with poms and the always anticipated guys poms. Contests included wing eating and tug of war.

“The attitude was much better this year,” said Kempf. “The only disappointment was the juniors lack of participation in the black out.”

The other disappointment was the sound system complications. Microphones were difficult to understand and Orchesis lost its track number, causing students to sing their song instead.

Although the sound system failed, the spirit did not. The events could not have turned out any better. They helped the school prepare for the upcoming football game and dance.

“The outcomes keep getting better as student’s participation increase, and I look forward to future events,” said Kempf.