Varsity volleyball blocks Jacobs win

Huntley High School's varsity volleyball team huddles together during a time out to talk strategy for the remainder of the game (C. Thomas).

Courtney Thomas

Last night, Huntley High School’s varsity volleyball team beat Jacobs in two games, winning the first 25-15, and the second 25-18. According to Coach Karen Naymola, this puts the team’s conference record at 10-1. The only game they lost was to Cary Grove, who they will be playing later this week, hopefully beating them.

The girls came out strong, starting with their side-out, a back row kill from senior Ally Dion who has played on varsity since she was a freshman. Dion was a huge asset to the team, doubling as the setter when the actual setter took the first pass.

The first game was quick and appeared to be relatively easy for Huntley. The Red Raiders were very good at placing the ball where Jacobs was not, with frequent setter dumps, tips, and hits.

The second game, however, proved to be a little bit more of a struggle for the girls. Many of Huntley’s hits went out of bounds, rather than down and on the court.

“We need to come out with the same intensity every game,” said Naymola. “Sometimes we fall into the trap of not really starting to play our game until we’re down, or the game is close, and then we decide to turn it out.”

The girls did lose some momentum at the beginning of the second game, as Jacobs started returning Huntley’s serves with ease. Jacobs remained in the lead or tied with Huntley for most of the game, until the end when Huntley freshman,┬áJosie Schmitendorf, went on a serving run that got the girls back in the game and boosted their confidence.

Huntley, in the end, was able to pull themselves together to win the game against Jacobs in two, proving to be one of Huntley’s easier competitors in the conference.

“We played as a team and consistent, but there wasn’t that intensity because it was a flat game,” middle blocker Caitlin Thorelius said.

About the writer