Psychology Club makes preparations for Minds in Motion 5K

The HHS Psychology Club at last year's event (B. Regan).

Throughout the semester, the Huntley High School Psychology Club has been preparing for their upcoming Minds in Motion 5K Walk/Run. The 5K will take place on Sunday, May 20 at 9:00 in the morning.

Minds in Motion will be using local businesses to raise money for Centegra Behavior Health Services and Rachel’s Challenge, an anti-bullying program. All ages are welcome to attend the event, which will take place at the Square Barn Road campus.

“Everybody’s welcome,” said Psychology Club supervisor Shannon Romanski-Phillips. “[Last year] we had some from the elementary school, the Livengoods came, and even some of my friends from the high school.”

Romanski-Phillips was inspired to organize the event when she heard about the program from a former student. She also got information from one of her neighbors, who works as a secretary at Marian Central, because she had experience with the event.

“I knew we had to get [Minds in Motion],” said Romanski-Phillips. “We just kept bugging Mr. Johnson until we got approval.”

Brainstorming ideas and checklists for planning the event adorn Romanski-Phillips's board (H. Baldacci).

Romanski-Phillips and the Psychology Club’s efforts paid off, and they managed to raise about $3,500 dollars during the first ever Minds in Motion 5K last year, which had about 200 attendees.

Now that the Psychology Club has some experience with the event, they are tweaking the event based on what they learned from their experience last year.

“We have a list of things to improve our second year,” said Romanski-Phillips.

One difference is that this year, the club will be advertising for the event. There will be posters around the school like last year, but this year will also encompass advertising in local newspapers and radio stations.

Romanski-Phillips Is also hoping for a bulletin board somewhere around Huntley High after spring break where she can post more information about the event.

“We want as many people as possible,” said Romanski-Phillips. “Anybody in the whole world is welcome.”

The event will begin with the race and then move on to the Minds in Motion celebration, which will feature awards (including gift cards for the top three male and female finishers) and stands set up by businesses sponsoring the 5K.

Until May 5 comes, Romanski-Phillips and the Psychology Club will continue to prepare the event to the best of their ability and hope for another successful year.