Juniors prepare for the upcoming ACT and PSAE tests

Mr. Mennonah's English III Honors class prepares for the ACT and PSAE (M. Wilson).

The guidance department and students in the junior class have been preparing for the highly anticipated ACT and PSAE tests on April 24 and 25.

For these two days, the upstairs circle will be completely closed. Any student with a class in the circle are to report to the cafeteria.

“Anyone who has lockers in the upstairs circle should make sure they get all of their stuff and skedaddle,” said counselor Pat Olson-McGee.

In addition to the temporary closing, seniors are excused from school on those two days.

The PSAE consists of two parts; the ACT on day one and the PSAE on day two. The exam takes approximately three and a half hours, covering English, reading, math, and science.

“The English department has been a tremendous help towards the preparation for the PSAE,” said Olson-McGee. “It’s not just the guidance department, but a collaboration between the student body and ourselves.”

Due to the state cutting the writing portion of the exam, students will have to take the ACT on Saturday, April 14. Approximately 120 students will be taking the exam with an estimated 90 taking the added writing portion.

“I think that the most difficult trouble juniors will have is the ACT no cell phone policy,” said Olson-McGee. “For both days, juniors will not be allowed to have their cell phones in the building.”

Prior to taking the exams, Olson-McGee recommends studying in little amounts, having fun, and getting plenty of sleep.

“They’ve done everything to prepare,” said Olson-McGee. “You do what you can and have faith that you will do well.”