Physics from New Mexico to Switzerland

Physics+from+New+Mexico+to+Switzerland+

Not many students know much about their teacher’s lives outside of the classroom walls. Most tend to neglect that fact that these adults are involved with other activities that are not school related. Learning about an educator’s background can be quite interesting. The things that you discover about them are incredible and extremely fascinating.

Andrew Johnson is currently teaching Conceptual Physics and AP Physics C in Huntley High School. He also does lectures at Waubonsee Community College every Tuesday and Thursday evening as a side job. For those fortunate enough to have had him as an instructor, you are well aware of what a respectable individual he is. As of right now Johnson’s life seems to be revolving around school mostly, but that doesn’t seem to bother him at all because he loves what he does.

“I love Huntley. Students here are respectful, motivated, and always eager to learn,” said Johnson.SAM_1046

This is his second year as a member of our school’s faculty. Prior to teaching at HHS, he was involved with an experiment in Switzerland called the Compact Muon Solenoid experiment on the Large Hadron Collider where he studied high-energy particle physics at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Illinois and nuclear physics at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico.

Johnson became involved with this experiment while searching for a Research Experiences for Undergraduates summer program. Johnson always loved mathematics when he was in school and at first wished to become an engineer when he entered his first year of college.

Being an engineer seemed like the logical choice for him since he loved math, designing things, and because it was hands on work. While attending university he enrolled in a physics class and was immediately drawn to the subject because it incorporated so much mathematics, and he got to know his professors and got along with them very well.

It wasn’t until he entered grad school when he discovered that he wanted to become a teacher. Whenever he was teaching it felt rewarding because was proud of what he was teaching his students.

“I enjoy making connections with my students,” said Johnson.

2
View Comments (2)
Danielle Rivera, Author

• Y

Yilmaz AkdorukJan 26, 2014 at 8:37 am

Hope new info will come soon.

Reply
  • Y

Yilmaz AkdorukJan 26, 2014 at 8:35 am

I enjoy these type of high technology. I also lived in Switzerland and in New Mexico (AngelFire). i am a Licensed Engineer (Civil & Structural)
    Thanks

Reply