Huntley’s Christian club makes plans for the year

Recently Huntley High School’s Christian Club has resumed meetings for the 2012-2013 school year. The club, which has been known in the past as C.H.I.L.L. and J.O.Y., is supervised by Jim McGee.

The club was started four years ago, with Cathy Bardy as the sponsor, but due to a busy schedule, she asked McGee if he would like to take over.

The group’s focus this year will be on service projects, as well as encouraging its members to grow in their faiths. They are also planning fun activities to do as a group, including playing laser tag and watching movies.

McGee, who was not raised religiously, first became involved in faith when he was in high school. He wants to extend the opportunity to become interested in religion to other high school students.

“When my mom was diagnosed with cancer, we started going to church,” said McGee. “It gave us kids a foundation for later on.”

McGee’s sisters encouraged him to attend their church’s youth group in high school, and when he was there, his plethora of questions about his religion helped him to become more involved and talk to leaders in his church. McGee wants to create an environment where students feel comfortable asking questions about their faith similar to the ones he had as a high schooler, and where they can share stories about their faith with other students.

The group’s student leaders are currently experimenting with how to make the club run smoothly and efficiently for the new school year.