Class-ic Courses or Advanced Placement

Students are stressed as they wonder whether or not Honors and AP classes are worth it
rawpixel.com
Students attempt to make their decision as the school year continues. CC0 1.0 DEED CC0 1.0 Universal

With course selection for the next school year approaching, many students are debating whether or not they should take advanced or normal classes. Both options have their own pros and cons, but which is the best choice?

In AP classes, students have to put in a lot more effort outside of school. They have to spend more time studying, as well as doing harder and longer homework assignments. However, they get the opportunity to earn college credit, which can save them money when they head to college. 

“If you want to go to a university right away, I think that AP would be a really good idea. You just have to be able to handle the stress, and you just have to be prepared [for all the work],” junior Kennedy Ceralde said. 

With honors courses, students also have to put in a good amount of time out of school to do their work. They are a bit harder and faster-paced, but they give a boost to your GPA. 

“I feel like honors classes help prepare you for the future, and they help you prepare for college. It gives you a harder experience that you may not get through normal classes here at the high school,” junior Maya Galawak said. 

Normal classes can still be difficult, but overall, they are less stressful compared to AP classes. You work at a bit of a slower pace, and there is less work to do outside of school. 

“I think regular classes are the best because there is less stress on a student. The higher-level classes just put more stress than what you already have in school, and I think it is a lot of unnecessary work. AP [classes] are a chance to challenge yourself, but it is just too much stress,” junior Lenny Rodriguez said. 

In the end, it all depends on the student. Considering your time, work ethic, and goals. Weigh the pros and cons of each course and do what is best for you.