The keys to success

Sophomore Will Geske plays the piano
Instructor Rick Rhode shows pianist Will Geske the rhythm that he wants Geske to play alongside the others in the rhythm section.

A simple wave of the hand cues the band‘s entrance. The sound around the pianist seemingly fades as they experience a moment of total concentration and bliss. This is their time to shine, and they play the opening chord.

For sophomore William Geske, playing piano in the jazz band gives him time out of his day to simply enjoy himself.
“I enjoy the rhythm… and it’s just fun,” Geske said.
Since Geske was 4 years old, his grandparents bought him lessons for the piano. He has practiced both inside and outside of school in Naperville where he has lessons till this day.
In the jazz band, instructor Rick Rhode practices every Monday from 3-4 p.m. with the band and Geske. During their practices and performances, it is up to Geske and the rest of the rhythm section to keep time.
“I can throw chords, and [he] catches on really quick,” Rhode said. “He does a lot of work at home … so he’s a good asset.”
Working outside of rehearsal allows Geske to perfect his music, so he does not have to rely on an instructor to conduct.
Also in the rhythm section is junior Aaron Barg on the drumset. While Geske is the soul of the band, Aaron helps keep a steady beat and sets Geske up for success.

“He makes the band sound better…like it’s more alive,” Barg said.

Outside of Jazz Band, Geske plays varsity tennis where he is the number one singles player, giving him the highest spot in varsity. Recently he competed in a tournament in Indiana.

“I did really well, which I’m happy about,” Geske said.

When Geske was in sixth grade he was introduced to the Jazz Band by Rhode, where he came to really enjoy playing for them. Ever since then, he has planned on sticking with the Jazz Band through highschool, in order to improve on piano and just have fun.

“I would really recommend being in Jazz Band… we get to go on cool field trips and learn different pieces,” Geske said.

Whether it is starting or ending a piece, Geske makes sure to do his role to the best he can to ensure his success, and just have fun. He has the keys to the band’s success after all.